Andalas University, Indonesia
Andalas University (Indonesian: Universitas Andalas, abbreviated UNAND) is one of the leading Indonesian Universities and is well known in the fields of entrepreneurship and character building. The historic background of this university is very rich as it’s the fourth oldest university in the country and the oldest one outside the Island of Java. UNAND was officially inaugurated on 13th September 1956 by its founding fathers along with country’s 1st Vice President and also the Minister of Education and Culture. Initially Andalas University had only five faculties. Now it has 15 faculties and postgraduate programs with 25000 students under its umbrella. UNAND has three campuses; the main campus is in Padang, campus 2 in Payakumbuh and campus 3 in Dharmasraya. The university offers various programs which include Non Degree (Diploma) Program, Undergraduate Program, Professional Program (Sp1 and Sp2), Masters Program and Doctoral Program. Indonesian Ministry of National Education has provided UNAND with the institutional accreditation.
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Medicine of UNAND includes departments of general practitioners, nursing, public health, psychology and dentistry. In 1956, at the time of establishment the faculty of medicine had 60 students and there was lack of proper infrastructure facilities. In 1961-62 the department started using Padang hospital for the purpose of clinical training of the students. The faculty moved gradually to the new campus in Teak during late 70s and early 80s.
Andalas University has the honor of being the first university in Indonesia that conducts 5 year medical degree program using the “Problem Based Learning System” This system is currently used in USA, UK, and the European countries.
At present all the departments of faculty of medicine are fully functional and providing highest quality of education and training to hundreds of students. The facilities and environment at the campus is of international standards. These facilities are briefly discussed in the following sections.
The academic and extracurricular facilities offered at UNAND are one of the best present in the country and across the world. We have tried to summarize some of them below:
- The faculty of medicine, UNAND has eight college buildings/ blocks (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H). These buildings are well built keeping in mind the modern design and safety standards.
- The department has its own well stocked library; this library is subscribed to all the leading journal and educational magazines. Students can find all their course and reference books and research material here.
- Student laboratory section has well equipped general science and basic labs.
- Central laboratory facility has specialized labs. These labs have professional supervisors and instructors.
- Biomedical laboratories are also present in the department. These labs contain all the modern machinery related to medical field. The instructors here train and guide the students about these machines.
- Computer laboratory for research and general purpose is always open for students and staff.
- Health center is also present inside the campus. It is used to provide medical facilities to student and staff and is also used for the training purposes by department of public health.
- Central General Hospital M. Djamil provides the students with professional clinical and surgical training in various field of medicine.
- Medical department has its own cafeteria which provides students with quality food and peaceful environment to spend their free time.
- FK halls are present for conferences, seminars and various other events (The administration is planning to build new hall which will have a capacity of 1200 people)
- The campus has vast playing fields and park for recreational activities. The sports facilities include football, basketball, climbing and tennis,
- University has its own language center which teaches various modern languages and has authority to administer TOEFL test.
- Student activity center is also present where various student bodies have their secretariats.
- UNAND is one of 6 Indonesian universities with International Students Association program. The university offers education high standards of education to students around the world.
Andalas University Location
Andalas University main campus covers an area of 500 acres and is located in hills of Sweet Lemon, at a distance of about 15km from Padang, the capital city of West Sumatra. The campus lies at an altitude of 255m above sea level. It overlooks the city of Padang with view of blue Indian Ocean stretching towards the West. The building’s architecture is blend of Minangkabau roof model and modern day style. Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry is located in Campus 1 in the area of Teak, Padang city center. Campus 2 in Payakumbuh and Campus 3 in Dharmasraya are located at a distance of about 120km and 200km respectively from the city of Padang.
Education fields covered by the faculty of medicine can be divided into two branches; Pre-Clinical and Clinical. These branches are summarized below:
- Science of Nutrition
- Anatomical Pathology
- Public Health Sciences
- Obstetrics Gynecology
- Internal Medicine
- Child Health
- Radiology Sciences
- Eye Health Science
- Cardio vascular
- Dental and Oral Sciences
ASK OUR ADVISOR
If You Want to Study Medicine, We Can Help!